Summer School on Doing and Communicating Qualitative Research
Summer School - Doing and Communicating Qualitative Research
Start date: 13 July 2015
Duration: 1 - 5 days
Time: 10.00am - 5.00pm
Location: Kingston University, Penrhyn Road campus
The School of Psychology, Sociology and Criminology invites you to a new Summer School which offers an opportunity to enrich your skills and tackle the principles of qualitative research in a practical, hands-on way.
Day-long workshops will bring together academics and professionals, and cover the whole span of the research process from design through to writing up. Workshop content will include:
- particular approaches to qualitative analysis (such as thematic analysis and IPA)
- research with particular groups (such as children and vulnerable groups)
- research in applied settings (evaluation studies and market research)
- research that uses developing technological possibilities (doing qualitative research online and using NVivo software).
Keynote speakers will provide insights into the past, present and future of qualitative research and advice on getting published.
You can also get expert advice on your current and future research through our Consultation Clinics, and have plenty of opportunities to share experiences and network with like-minded peers.
The Summer School is supported by the British Psychological Society's Quallitative Methods in Psychology Section and Social Psychology Sectionand the School of Psychology, Criminology and Sociology at Kingston University. It is suitable for novice and experienced researchers, postgraduate students and professional practitioners.
Who is it for?
Whether you are new to qualitative research or are more experienced, the Summer School will benefit postgraduate students, researchers and professional practitioners in disciplines such as:
- Counselling and psychotherapy
- Sociology and other social sciences
- Social services and social work
- Social policy
- Nursing and healthcare
- Market research
What will you learn?
After participating in the Summer School, you will be able to:
- make informed decisions about designing your qualitative research, generating and analysing data, and writing up your qualitative research findings
- appreciate how different analytic approaches understand qualitative data
- use approaches to the generation and analysis of qualitative data in systematic and insightful ways
- understand the common challenges associated with particular approaches in qualitative research and know how to address these effectively
- engage with ethical issues associated with qualitative data collection and analysis in informed and effective ways
- appreciate the strengths and limitations of qualitative research
- understand when and how to apply the conclusions of qualitative research to policy making and practice settings.
We recommend that you attend over the whole week to gain maximum benefit.
For more details regarding program schedule, registration, accomodation and fee, refer to the link: http://fass.kingston.ac.uk/courses/short-courses/doing-and-communicating-qualitative-research/