Psychological aspects of social epidemics
Alexander Katkov, Republican Scientific Practical Center of Medical and Social Problems of Drug
Conference: ISPP 2011
Affiliation: Republican Scientific Practical Center of Medical and Social Problems of Drug
Research Area: Social inequality and social change
|During 2001-2010гг. the Pavlodar science center of mediko-social problems conducted scale researches in sphere of social epidemics. In particular, the following has been established.
1. Social epidemics are understood as involving processes in:
- Chemical dependence (alcoholism, narcotisms, drug abuse);
- Psychological dependence (totalitarian sects, the extremist, criminal organizations, gambling, etc.);
- Mental and behavioural frustration of borderline states – depressions, frustration of adaptation, etc.
2. Social epidemics find out tendencies:
- To uncontrollable distribution;
- To direct and indirect interdependence;
- Direct destructive influence of social epidemics affects an essential part of a society (to 40 % of the population), and indirect psychotraumatic influence affects a society as a whole;
- Traditional ways of counteraction, created by analogy to biological epidemics, are ineffective, or aren't effective at all.
3. A motive power of distribution of social epidemics:
- Increase of aggression of environment (first of all, information);
- Progressing decrease in adaptable potential of the population;
- Degradation natural health mechanisms;
- Slow rates of formation of effective social self-organizing.
4. Models of effective counteraction to distribution of social epidemics at the state level are developed and approved. In particular:
- The psychological properties which high level of development interferes with involving in each of the named dependences and pathological conditions are identified;
- Programs of computer diagnostics of risks of involving in social epidemics on each age group of the population are developed;
- Programs of effective correction of corresponding risks in educational institutions are developed;
- The given programs actively take root at national level;
- Special monitoring and the researches defining dynamics of risks of involving of the population in social epidemics is carried out.
5. The first encouraging results showing possibility of management by risks of involving of the population in social epidemics are received.