Roberta Sigel Junior Scholar Paper Award
The Sigel Award is given to junior scholar authors of the best papers presented at annual scientific meetings. Nominees must be current ISPP members.
ISPP first announced this award at its Vancouver meeting in 1996. Professor Sigel, whom the award honors, has been a distinguished professor of political science at Rutgers University since 1973. She is author and editor of seven books and many articles and book chapters, mostly in the areas of political socialization and democratic citizenship. She has had many leadership roles in the American Political Science Association and has served as program chair, Vice-President and President of ISPP.
All ISPP Junior Scholars who are current dues paid members of ISPP and had their paper accepted for the most recent summer meeting/ conference are eligible to be considered for the award to be presented during the next year's meeting. Junior Scholars are all students (graduate or undergraduate) and faculty who received their Ph.D. within the last eight years.
There are two prizes with slightly different criteria to accommodate the authorship and publication practices in the various disciplines represented in ISPP:
The first award will be given to the best paper written by Junior Scholars only. In the case of multiple authors, all co-authors must be Junior Scholars.
The second award will be conferred to the best paper with a Junior Scholar first author. This award allows, but does not require, non-Junior Scholar co-authors.
The award recipients will be strongly encouraged to attend the Annual Meeting and Awards Reception.
Send nominations to the 2014 Award Committee Chair:
Deadline: February 17, 2014. Only papers by current (dues paid for this year) ISPP members are eligible for consideration.
First awarded in 1998.
- 2013 Michael Bang Petersen & Lasse Laustsen
- 2012 Rune Slothuus; Scott Clifford, Jennifer Jerit, and Jason Barabas
- 2011 Melinda Jackson; Erin Hennes with John Jost and Irina Feygina
- 2010 Thomas Craemer, Pete Hatemi and Rose McDermott
- 2009 Jason Barabas and Jennifer Jerit (abstract); Margarita Krochik (abstract)
- 2008 Eric Dickson (paper abstract); Elizabeth Suhay
- 2007 Christopher Federico
- 2006 Daphna Canetti-Nisim; Rajiv Jhangiani and Peter Suedfeld
- 2005 Romain Lachat
- 2004 James N. Druckman, Kjersten R. Nelson
- 2003 Celeste Lay
- 2002 vacant
- 2001 David Redlawsk
- 2000 James Druckman, Michael Allen, Sik Hung Ng
- 1999 vacant
- 1998 Kristin Hall Maher, David Redlawsk